"GSM is the fastest growing communications technology of all time"
General facts, figures and growth on Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM):
- GSM is the fastest growing communications technology of all time
- The billionth GSM user was connected early 2004 - just a dozen years after the commercial launch of the first GSM networks.
- Today GSM accounts for 75% of the world's digital mobile market and 74% of the world's wireless market
- The GSM Association currently has operator members in more than 210 countries and territories
- The GSM Association represents over 600 GSM operators globally and unites the industry in pursuing the expansion and development of GSM technology
Global System for Mobile Communications, GSM in Africa:
- GSM is the primary driver of telecommunications growth in Africa
- Africa is one of the fastest growing mobile markets in the world
- Africa's subscriber base grew by 55.7% to 88.3 million in the year to March 2005
- Africa has an overall mobile penetration of around 12%
- By 2010 the market is forecast to exceed 248 million subscribers (massive 18% growth)
- State owned African companies, such as NITEL in Nigeria, are in the process of being privatized and attracting potential investors keen on benefiting from the growing African Cellular market
- There is stiff competition over potential acquisition targets